Tapes of Top Gear from 1969 and 1970

hills1902 jandchill@...
Sun Apr 22 13:46:44 CEST 2007

Thanks for the information on dates - how do you know all this??

- in the show on 27/4/69, I haven't played it all through again, but
I think the only reference John Peel makes to the new producer is to
call him John "Petals" Walters, you get the impression he took a
while to warm to him! One of the tapes has the last bit of the
previous show (unfortunately I recorded over most of it with a John
Peel concert programme) in which JP pays tribute to Bernie Andrews
the outgoing producer and says he can't understand the reason for the
change - so perhaps he was initially a bit hostile to John Walters.

- unfortunately I recorded over the last 10 mins or so of the show on
27/7/69 (also with a JP concert programme) so don't have the last
item (Elton John's Skyline Pigeon)- was it significant?

The tapes also have some mostly incomplete recordings of the John
Peel concert programme (Van der Graaf Generator, Mungo Jerry, Brett
Marvin and the Thunderbolts are some I've written down) but I don't
find these very interesting now, compared to the Top Gear shows which
you listen to and think what great music (mostly)!

One question from me - does anyone know about the legality of
distributing these recordings? I imagine the BBC are the only ones
that might take an interest. I've looked for archive recordings on
their website and they have the odd disappointingly brief snatch of
Top Gear. Does anyone know if they have preserved the recordings of
the shows, or is it only the sessions that they have kept?

John

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "ken garner" <ken_garner@...> wrote:

> I too would like to hear them, of course. I think I can be of some
> assistance with confirming your dates, here you go:
>
> Sn 27/4/69 Eclection, new session first broadcast (plus repeated
> sessions from: Family, Principal Edwards Magic Theatre)
> - yes, defintiely 27th, not 26th, and coincidentally that was the
> first Peel show Produced by John Walters, I wonder if Peel says
> anything about this in his links?
>
> Sn 11/5/69 T.Rex, King Crimson (Fleetwood Mac, Bonzos)
> - correct, King Crimson's first, by the way
>
> Sn 18/5/69 Pentangle, John Dummer's Blues Band (Blodwyn Pigg,
> Mandrake Paddle Steamer)
>
> Sn 29/6/69 Idle race, Led Zeppelin (Pentangle, Savoy Brown Blues
Band)

> Sn 6/7/69 John Hiseman's Coliseum, Imrat Khan (Pretty Things, John
> Dummer Blues Band)
>
> Sn 27/7/69 Third Ear Band (Roy Harper, Ten Years After)
> - my notes also say last record in show was Skyline Pigeon by Elton
> John! Got that?
>
> ...Top Gear moved to Saturday afternoons late Sept 69...
>
> St 4/7/70 Country Joe McDonald (Fotheringay, Cochise)
>
> St 11/7/70 Kevin Ayers + the Whole World, Son House (East of Eden)
>
> Most of the major sessions there survived on tape, but I am not
sure
> quite all of these are in the Radio 1 Archive, by the way,
especially
> the Country Joe one, but I can check that easily enough...
>
> ken
>

> --- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "hills1902" <jandchill@> wrote:
> >
> > I have some old 7 inch reel-to-reel tapes of eight Top Gear
> > programmes
> > that I recorded in 1969 and 1970, with sessions from the
following
> > bands:
> >
> > 26 Apr 69 - Principal Edwards Magic Theatre, Eclection, Family
> > 11 May 69? - Fleetwood Mac, King Crimson, Tyrannosaurus Rex,
Bonzo
> > Dog
> > Band
> > Date unknown - Pentangle, Blodwyn Pig, Mandrake Paddle Steamer,
> John
> > Dummer Blues Band
> > Date unknown - Ten Years After, Roy Harper, Third Ear Band
> > 29 Jun 69 - Led Zeppelin, Pentangle, Idle Race,
> > 6 Jul 69 - John Dummer Blues Band, Colosseum, Pretty Things,
Imrat