[peel] Re: A quick question...

dean coster bingoandsnork@...
Wed May 10 12:33:22 CEST 2006

I remember reading an interview where they said that the song was based upon somebody having a Joy Division oven glove, and inspiring them to right about stupid merchandising scams. Unfortunately, it has also become a firm favourite of the Stormfront White Nationalist Community . At least a few members of their forum, it would seem (type 'half man half biscuit joy division oven gloves' into yahoo and see what option number three is). Which just goes to show - white nationalists are a bit thick and don't do irony.

Paul Bryant <pbryant98@...> wrote:
  Surely Joy Division/New Order plays with Nazi
terminology to begin with. To add Oven Gloves to the
mix is definately on the same trajectory of grotesque
and in my view horribly misplaced humour.

pb

--- shortattentionspan_radio
<shortattentionspan_radio@...> wrote:

> I cannot believe that Nigel would make a joke out of
> such a horrible
> connection. Since when did HMHB use logic in their
> songs anyway? Why
> Dukla Prague? Why Fred Titmuss? They've always gone
> for the
> hilariously irrelevant and if Joy Division Oven
> Gloves laughs at
> anything in particular it's surely music industry
> merchandizing.
> More likely just his usual combination of the
> sublime and the
> ridiculous though.
>
> http://sasradio.blogspot.com/
>

> --- In peel@yahoogroups.com, Stuart McHugh
> <stuart@...> wrote:
> >
> > Never occurred to me that this might be the
> > possible reason for the tune title. I don't
> > believe HMHB would be likely to have had that
> > behind it. I'd imagine it's more to do with how
> > Factory Records' early catalogue included not
> > just records, but posters, badges, films, quite a
> > lot of headed notepaper, a lawsuit (!), and a
> > (sadly fictional) menstrual egg timer (!!). Of
> > these unusual limited editions etc - all in the
> > catalogue as FAC 1, FAC2, etc - most famous was
> > FAC51, the Hacienda nightclub (one to stymie the
> > completists).
> >
> > Analysis at http://www.hmhb.co.uk/, but nothing to
> back up either
> theory...

http://mail.yahoo.com

        Music on hold systems   Music for advertising   Music school     Wedding music   Music   Pop music