[peel] Re: some bloke on ebay...

Martin Wheatley martinwheatley@...
Wed Feb 15 18:26:32 CET 2006

>However, I have to say I do remember on several occasions John Peel making
>comments after particularly good sessions suggesting that they will
>probably be available on cassette on some market stall or other in the
>morning, almost advertising the fact to the uninitiated, and I'm sure I'm
>not the only one around here who has bought such an item! I'm sure he was
>fully aware that many of the sessions he played were redistributed for
>profit, but I certainly don't remember him saying don't buy them, even if
>as a BBC employee he should have been.

The copyright situation is hugely complicated and is usually best dealt
with by ignoring it but not being too blatant

The situation as I understand is as follows
Everything the BBC put out or have put out is copyright to someone or other
The BBC have an agreement which gives them seven days Internet rates after
a broadcast regardless of the content - hence the way the BBC player is set
up .
In order to put anything that contains records on the Internet the BBC have
to have
broadcast it within the last 7 days then it comes off.  This agreement is
extremely expensive
and it's doubtful if the BBC would ever be able to afford to extend the 7
days or improve
the quality which are the normal user complaints.  The industry expects to
receive
compensation of their total perceived losses to piracy for any extension
and that is
a fantasy figure!
Outside of this any distribution of any prog containing records by anyone
is illegal

Session are different but actually worse on some cases.  If the band has a
recording
contract with a major label - it covers all their output including work they do
for radio.  The session is the record companys property and the BBC are
simply acting as
an outside producer. The number of times the tracks are rebroadcast depends
on the
terms of the contract with the BBC.   Groups not signed  to major labels
are in a
  different situation - the sessions may be the groups property - it will
depend on
the actual contractual situation they are in.
The only thing the BBC definitely owns are spoken word progs - which is why
that is the only sort of prog they do podcasts for.

Of course the bottom line is that things that are done at the moment are
too trivial for
it to be worth anyone following through but lets not pretend it's not all
illegal because it is!
Let's be careful out there

martinw