[peel] Re: some bloke on ebay...

tony donaghey tonydonaghey@...
Wed Feb 15 16:29:02 CET 2006

What a can of worms this opens up.
  Peel was in the perfect hippy position of having been paid for his radio show and then not benefiting from any exploitation of the sessions by the BBC- I recall he got no money from the Strange fruit releases. He knew people traded them for pleasure or profit as did the musicians who I'm sure saw it as publicity or else they wouldn't have appeared on his show.
  I joined this group in the hope that I could get hold of Kevin Coyne material (can anyone help - check out Pascal's site for the stuff we are looking for kevincoynepage.tk) and kevin is a case in point. He happily let people trade live shows etc so long as they bought the official albums. He also released semi-official live albums for sale at gigs to make up for royalities Virgin never paid him.
  These latter items appear every so often on e-bay from a bootleg source who doesn't give a % to Kevin's widow Helmi. It's curious when you send the guy an open question to this effect how quick the item is withdrawn
  regards
  Tony
  PS Kevin's last album Underground now available

Ian Wilson <iangwilson@...> wrote:
    I'd like to put a slightly different slant on this, but before I do, I want to make it clear that I don't condone the actions of said ebayer and the like, but find it more of a shame that people are having to buy these items and having to fork out to some opportunist due to being unaware of the file trading/sharing sites around.

  However, I have to say I do remember on several occasions John Peel making comments after particularly good sessions suggesting that they will probably be available on cassette on some market stall or other in the morning, almost advertising the fact to the uninitiated, and I'm sure I'm not the only one around here who has bought such an item! I'm sure he was fully aware that many of the sessions he played were redistributed for profit, but I certainly don't remember him saying don't buy them, even if as a BBC employee he should have been.

  I'm sure that the people who have bought these items from ebay are enjoying what they've bought, and could not give a toss that someone is a couple of quid richer because of it. Perhaps what we should be doing is, wherever we can, hijack the auction in some way - I'm not an ebay expert myself, but is it possible to contact bidders and perhaps point them in the direction of a more acceptable source?

  It's good to see the shows distributed, a free sharing system being the ideal, but in the end, if there is a gap in the market, someone is going to fill it, regardless of the generosity of people on sites like this one.

Ian.

        Music on hold systems   Music for advertising   Music school     Wedding music   Music   Pop music