[peel] Re:[OT] [Altrok] Update #141: New Tracks and Unearthed Classics, As

Sean Carolan hubcity@...
Wed Dec 20 16:26:59 CET 2006

Stuart,

Well, alrighty then - thanks for your understanding as well.

While I'm more aping the style of the late, lamented FM106.3 here on the
shores of New Jersey, it's no secret that our programming was in many ways
influenced by John Peel's invisible hand (like Adam Smith's, but far less
greedy.)  That's the only explanation I have for our little US station adding
Auto Da Fe's "All Is Yellow Hot Hot Hot", not to mention The Smiths' "Hand In
Glove" when that was all they'd released so far.  In fact, a mid-nineties
interview with our own eventual music director Matt Pinfield (who would later
become the odd man out among MTV presenters here in the states) pretty clearly
states that Peel was guiding our choices unknowingly, as tapes of his show
were getting over here and being listened to by all the right people.

(Yeah, there was a time in the US when a small commercial radio station could
use John Peel as an unpaid "consultant".)

So, unlike Peel, I don't have nearly the resources of which he could afford
himself, and I'm probably less immune to "hype", though I do have my breaking
point.  But I've still got Hyper-kinako and Vive La Fete in my playlist, and I
feel pretty good about that.  (I've even had live webcasts from my home, and
it's a luxury my children definitely appreciate.)

Now to do a Christmas show of my own...

-Sean

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 10:15:12 +0000, Stuart McHugh wrote