[peel] Re: John's Record Box

simon smith moomin@...
Wed Oct 26 22:23:26 CEST 2005

In message <Pine.NEB.4.62.0510261827320.23454@...>, Stefan
Cooke <scooke@...> writes
>On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, simon smith wrote:
>
>> It's not a list! It's just stuff that had an effect on his life, one way
>> or another. The Users record isn't great, but they came from Cambridge,
>> (not far from Peel), and often played the Corn Exchange there, which he
>> frequented.
>>
>Hmmm, I lived in Cambridge during the punk years and went to almost all
>the gigs at the Corn Exchange from 1977-82 or so. I remember only one
>time the Users played there, supporting the Fall in May 1979. John Peel
>wasn't at this gig - I'm sure I would have spotted him had he been!

Indeed he wasn't! We've already corresponded about this on another
board!  Well perhaps he saw them play at other local venues, not that
they did many gigs so probably not. So we come back to the fact that he
probably liked 'Sick of You' as an early British punk single. And I'm
wrong! I swear I saw Peel at a Corn Exchange Undertones gig though, in
1980. Or I'm getting really old.

What marks out most of the singles for me is that most of the weren't
released on LP until many many years later, if at all (viz.,
surprisingly, 'Sick of You', _never_ released again, the Yardbird's
'Happenings', an extraordinarily pioneering record, The Misunderstood,
and most of the soul and reggae records).

--
simon smith