Musician Libeled in Quickie Peel Bio Wins Suit

thebarguest thebarguest@...
Thu May 19 17:15:01 CEST 2005

Yes, I heard this on local radio news in Liverpool
yesterday. I was given said book as a Christmas
present. I believed and was shocked / angered
by the allegations of bad criminality esp when the
guy lives down the road ! Peter H deserves every
penny he gets (under 1 million pounds).
I was going to give book away but someone else
could read the lies - a dilemma -should I bin it ?
I know - eureka - I'll erase the offending lines
with a biro !
Sh*t - if the author has got this wrong, what else
is wrong ? It's going .........

pecker the barguest

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, Tom Roche <troche@m...> wrote:
> Oh, and this shall be the 1000th yahoo peel digest. ho-hum....
>

> tom
>

> Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 06:26:34 -0400 (EDT)
>
> Subject: Libel Damages for Musician
>

>     PA
>     Wed 18 May 2005
>     11:41am (UK)
>     Libel Damages for Musician
>     By Jan Colley, PA
>
>     A rock musician today accepted substantial undisclosed libel
damages
>     over a claim that he had bragged about being involved in
football
>     violence, house theft and drug abuse.
>
>     Peter Hooton, the lead vocalist for The Farm, had brought High
Court
>     proceedings over a tribute book about the late DJ John Peel by
Mike
>     Wall which appeared in November 2004.
>
>     Counsel Joanne Neenan told Mr Justice Eady at London's High
Court that
>     Mr Hooton was also a qualified teacher and had worked full time
as a
>     youth and community worker for Liverpool City Council between
1980 and
>     1990.
>
>     He had also been involved in a high-profile anti-drugs campaign
run by
>     the council and, since 2000, had been employed as a mentor
working for
>     the Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts as a coach and
adviser to
>     young aspiring musicians.
>
>     Ms Neenan said that the book contained an allegation that Mr
Hooton