Tommy Vance

Tom Roche troche@...
Tue Mar 8 04:12:08 CET 2005

When I visited Peel in-studio around 1993 I showed up to Broadcasting
House early and Peel came to the lobby and brought me to studio 2 or
something. Vance was live in the adjoining studio doing his rrrrock
show leading up to 11PM. Peel didn't talk to him and didn't have it
on; he was auditioning his own records.

Even standing right at the glass, with Vance playing his monitors
loud, I could not hear any of it.  I had to put on my FM walkman or
go out in the hall to hear the in-house air system to here what Vance
was doing. Peel finally put it on at 30 sec before 11. Vance's
outgoing theme was that Dixie Dregs song recorded in Atlanta, made me
feel right at home... from "What If" I think. Vance was so in
control, so confident. He'd had this show on shortwave for a time
with the silly name "Rock Salad" and at first I thought he sounded
like a joke, a parody of a rrrrrock DJ. But over time I respected him
cos he played some extreme stuff at times and seemed to really
believe in what he played, even if some of it was comical hair-metal.

So this night he's wrapping up the show, he was talking over The
Dregs a mile a minute, totally gritty-smooth and  in control. Vance
had precisely dead-rolled the record early so just as he was done
talking at 10:59:55 PM the Dregs ended cold and end faded at exactly
10:59:59 and Peel smoothly took over. They never had to communicate
beforehand, they just both looked at the studio clock as it swept
past 12. Real pros those guys.