[peel] shows on line

dean coster bingoandsnork@...
Mon Jun 27 13:20:53 CEST 2005

In theory...

It makes no difference why you're doing it - copyrighted material is copyrighted material. Apart from the BBC's copyright to the shows any artists on the tapes that are on a label connected to the BPI means that they could lead to a BPI intervention and potential fines.

In practice...

I've been on a few bootleg/mashup sites and if they do get caught a lot of the time they'll send an e-mail saying 'Please take off offending material' or will contact your server who will take the site down. Something your server could do anyway if you have a clause in your contract that says 'no music uploads'. Then if you ignore or re-post they can get picky.

Its up to you, ultimately. Think how long site such as Peter Cook's Establishment or Cookdnbomd have been going for - the blue jam and mixes are ripe for closing down the sites but they're still there.  You can reduce your chance of being found, I think a few others in the group could give you some pointers there. Or, you could send your stuff to sites that do post stuff and if they can I'm sure they will do it for you.

rigmahus <rigmahus@...> wrote:
I was thinking about sticking a few d/loadable shows up on the web, a
bit like the ones you get just now - TK3K, Jon's Peel Tapes etc.

One slight worry is this:

What would download police make of this? Someone like the BPI for
example, I mean, would they see the differance between the Bittorrent
or Soulseek users sharing the latest chart LP's and an enthusiastic
Peel fan just wanting to keep the spirit alive? The latest case of the
Mum having to fork out 2 & a half grand because of her daughter's
prolific uploading and downloading activities, set me thinking.

I'd be very interested on your thoughts, and especially the thoughts of
the people already with the Peel sites. Also any potential music
industry lurkers who may read this group list, what do you think?

regards,

stevo