[peel] we miss john peel - mtv2 europe

Jan Buxton janb@...
Wed Jun 22 12:59:51 CEST 2005

Phil Edwards wrote:
> Sorry, I couldn't resist. Somehow, I knew you'd "bite".

:-)

> The point I was trying to get across re. Zane Lowe and eclecticism (and of
> course, his devotees) is that he plays such a limited choice of genres

Well I haven't listened to any radio in a few months, but Zane plays
guitar music, dance, and rap (with all their various subgenres), plus
the odd oddity (I first heard Hayseed Dixie on his show, Joanna Newsom,
ukulele orchestra etc).

> Maybe it's just me, but I feel, I've gone full circle, ie. singles in the
> early '60's, then mainly albums in late '60's and early '70's but now I
> prefer the sheer variety that singles offer and after all it's not many
> albums these days that can hold my interest apart from a few selected
> artists.

I've just bought a big shedload of albums in the past few months, both
new and old.

> I think the last time we "crossed swords", I believe I may have cast doubts
> on your "raison d'�tre" for being a member of this group and I am still
> somewhat intrigued as I, myself would not bother to join a "fan" group
> dedicated to someone I thought of as simply "OK". I just would not waste my
> time.

I have a lot of time. Seriously I liked Peel but I don't consider it
shameful to like other radio shows too.

--
Jan
http://spaces.msn.com/members/janb1982/