[peel] we miss john peel - mtv2 europe

Neil Jenkins neil_jenkins.geo@...
Wed Jun 22 10:46:05 CEST 2005

Well, this post has certainly gone a little odd (and has nothing to do with thebarguest's original intent!).

Jan has just as much right to post her views in here as any of us, and her initial input to this thread (though admittedly negative) was a fair one (as we've established).  True, this group contains a lot of Peel "fans" (and I count myself amongst them) but surely, at some point, Jan has been inspired to join this group and, for me, inspiration is what it's all about.  John has said himself on numerous occassions that critical, negative correspondence from listeners thrilled him more than positive ones (albeit for different reasons).  Those who complained obviously felt inspired to do so.  It would indeed be a shame if Jan posted only negative comments but she does post other stuff too!  Either way, I regard even negativity as more valuable than indifference.

The talk of "elitism" and "eclecticism" here are rather disturbing, and perhaps a little misguided.  One thing I've learned from 27 years of listening to John's shows is that eclecticism fuels taste ... PERSONAL taste.  The most important thing is to work out what YOU like and what YOU dislike, and the best way to discover this to a great depth is by having an eclectic input.  John, over many years, has given us the input to allow us all to work out what are tastes are.  But they will always be PERSONAL tastes.  What you hated hearing on the Peel Show another person was lapping up.  The joy then comes from sharing your musical loves with others in the hope that SOME of it will also be loved by them.

Come on guys!  Let's enjoy what we have.  And if someone in the group posts a message saying that something is rubbish, crap, the worst, etc., just remember it's THEIR OPINION, that's all.

Nothing in music, or indeed anything involving taste, is definitive.

Best regards,
Neil
www.neiljenkins.org