[peel] we miss john peel - mtv2 europe

Phil Edwards festive50@...
Wed Jun 22 01:13:15 CEST 2005

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Somehow, I knew you'd "bite".
I'ts just that I remember you of old and your reaction to a post of mine,
when we were wondering about new schedules after
John's sad demise and Zane Lowe joining the Beeb and my comments regarding
his shows on XFM.
I must admit that Zane played tracks that crossed over with John's shows,
namely "white boys strumming guitars".
I believe that most people didn't like everything that Peely played and for
me this genre was the one for me (of course not ALL "white boys strumming
guitars", but the likes of Datsuns, Strokes, White Stripes - NOW), as I can
get that on XFM (and only that) and one tires of the same repetitive
playlists day after day.
The point I was trying to get across re. Zane Lowe and eclecticism (and of
course, his devotees) is that he plays such a limited choice of genres
(unless of course, he's changed his style) similar to Ras Kwame. Even Huw
and Rob are playing a more varied range of genres.
Maybe the devotees of Zane Lowe felt that Peely didn't play ENOUGH of "white
boys strumming guitars".
Maybe it's just me, but I feel, I've gone full circle, ie. singles in the
early '60's, then mainly albums in late '60's and early '70's but now I
prefer the sheer variety that singles offer and after all it's not many
albums these days that can hold my interest apart from a few selected
artists.
I think the last time we "crossed swords", I believe I may have cast doubts
on your "raison d'�tre" for being a member of this group and I am still
somewhat intrigued as I, myself would not bother to join a "fan" group
dedicated to someone I thought of as simply "OK". I just would not waste my
time. Sorry again, but it's just the impression you give and being a member
of 1 or 2 group sites, I've come across a few people who tend to make ONLY
negative posts and I dearly hope that you are not in this category as, WHY
BOTHER?
Just a thought and as I say, "I am intrigued".
Phil