[peel] Peel shows from 1970 - 1975

Neil Jenkins neil_jenkins.geo@...
Tue Jun 21 10:07:50 CEST 2005

I think his "change" was a gradual thing.  I listened to him from 1977 and never really considered that his delivery had changed until a few years back when I'd heard a snippet of something he'd done in the mid-late 70's and realised he sounded different!

There's a copy of a "Punk Special" he recorded in December 1976 doing the rounds.  If you listen to that he still has his laid back, hippy-like delivery, although he does noticably "toughen up" during the course of that one programme.  So maybe there was a delivery change in response to the sort of music he was playing, which initially occurred during each programme and became more long-term some time later (i.e. when he'd START each programme in his latter-day style).

rigmahus <rigmahus@...> wrote:
Hi,

Didn't want you to get too excited by the title. I'm on the want.
Amoungst the download sites... JP Tapes, TK3K, Pefumed Garden and JP
tape and files...and on the net in general...there is almost a total
lack of preserved shows from this period. Personally I'd love to hear
his transformation from slow talking, laid back, post Perfumed Garden
hip meister - to his discovering of punk - (at what hour did that
happen? and on what show did he excitedly anonuce the arrival of the
mad slab of vinyl he got - only this morning) and subsequent deadpan
sardonic delivery that lasted right up till last year. :(

What does everyone else think?

Stevo

Best regards,
Neil