[peel] Re: Radio One punk celebration

Garry Latham garry_latham@...
Thu Jun 16 21:49:10 CEST 2005

I remember that live Masonna set. It was 10 mins of just noise. No rhythm, no variation, just the same monotonous noise, and I like noisey music.

I don't remember him playing any Merzbow, but he did introduce the 24 hour playing of the complete Merzbow back catalogue at the ICA.

While not they're all that punk(y) at times I feel Green Day our punk at heart, and our certainly viewed as punk by the mainstream. I mean only a punk band could get away with calling fellow americans idiots. The Dixie Chicks couldn't.

But then again I subscribe to idea that isn't simply the drummer, singer, bass, and a guitar playing 3 chords formula. It's partly of an attitude, the DIY ethics etc, not simply the sound of the music. Public Enemy are punk, Busted weren't.

simon smith <moomin@...> wrote:
In message <d8s7qr+fm5i@...>, fitfee68 <fitfee68@...>
writes
>...and of course, as somebody famously once told us (who was that!),
>there's either good music or there's bad music. I don't like labelling
>music

Well yes, but what Green Day is, is Power Pop. There's no mistaking it.

I find discussions about how to label Japanese noise like Merzbow quite
fun, because the question is raised whether it's music at all, and if it
isn't, is that necessarily a bad thing? Maybe the age of music is
ending.

I don't think JP ever played Merzbow, but apparently Masonna featured in
a live broadcast he did, and they're about the most extreme music I've
ever heard. I wonder what he made of them?

--
simon smith