[peel] Radio One punk celebration

Neil Jenkins neil_jenkins.geo@...
Thu Jun 16 15:51:40 CEST 2005

John played plenty of Green Day back in the early 90's!

I agree with what you say about the "door opening", Jan.  I come across a number of bands who are teenage "pop-punk" and they all sound the same, and speak glowingly of Green Day.  Interestingly, when I come across a "punk" band who are genuinely interesting/original they say they're not keen on Green Day!  Shame really.

The problem isn't Green Day though ... it's teenagers who have a very narrow range of musical tastes and, as such, have a CD collection of essentially the same music, and in their band they try to recreate that same sound.  There's a band that I do some photography for who are a "pop-punk" band, but as I've got them listening to other stuff very slowly over time (and as they've got older) they're finally starting to sound like themselves and not what's already out there.

Mind you, you can say the same of many other genres.

Sorry ... is it just me or have I gone completely off-piest?!

Jan Buxton <janb@...> wrote:
fitfee68 wrote:
>   Should anyone be interested, Radio One are currently 'celebrating'
> 30 years of punk...alas, with a Green Day tinge to it!

Hey! Nothing wrong with Green Day - American Idiot is a great record,
and International Superhits is worth shelf-space as well. The problem is
with the bands that they inspired/opened the door for.

--
Jan
http://spaces.msn.com/members/janb1982/

Best regards,