Peel tapes

electrophotic brian@...
Thu Jun 9 23:27:05 CEST 2005

It may be of interest to members of this group that I am disposing of
all my reel-to-reel tapes (and tape deck).  Many of the tapes are of
John Peel Shows, mostly Festive 50's - some complete shows, and some
just the F50 part of the show.  All JP's narrative is included - I
recorded these off-air at the time they were first broadcast.  I've
listed them on eBay tonight (search for "John Peel" to find all the
tapes with JP content).

Over the last few months I've copied most of the tapes' content onto
CD (spent about 250 hours copying and manually indexing the tracks)
and, along with other F50s I have recorded on VHS, the JP stuff fills
about 90 CDs.  I hope to be able to make the CDs content available to
anyone who wants copies but at the moment I'm basically analogue
(plus a Philips audio CD recorder) and further copying using my
present set-up would be time consuming and expensive, so I need to
learn how to do MP3s.

The reason for me selling up is that the CDs take up less space and
are more convenient.  The tapes are excellent quality (just a
couple of them have a few minor glitches as mentioned on the auction
page), and, unlike my CD transfers which I had to edit slightly to
fit onto 74/80 minute CDs, the full shows are one continuous take.