[peel] Re: Rothko

Martin Wheatley martinwheatley@...
Tue Jun 7 16:56:56 CEST 2005

At 15:44 07/06/2005, you wrote:

 >>Thanks Marcelle. As it happens I've been listening to some Rothko
 >>this afternoon. I'm not sure if this is the band I'm looking for.
 >>They seem eclectic, although within the ambient to acoustic downbeat
 >>area, but the band I 'seem' to remember are more rocky. Or perhaps I
 >>haven't listened to enough of their stuff.
 >i've been trying to recall any bands with 3 basses to no avail. I
 >wondered if one of Doug Scharin's bands might have had several
 >basses. I don't think it was Him, however - there was another  band
 >who I have an album by, but I forget  their name and it'd tae me ages
 >to go from A-Z to find it.
 >Southampton's Toupe have 2 basses, I think, but they're neither
 >ambient or rocky (just silly).

 >(They're called Toupe and are from Southampton, in case that made no sense)
 >--

Rothco did a Peel session as well as a session for Mixing It in Radio 3 and
then another
for them recently with Roger Eno.  They are one of those bands who get
togewther every so often

I know a band with two basses    Iron Oxide who are the band of Fall
listmeister Jeff Curtis
normally have two and sometimes more.   Last public performance was two
basses and a theremin!
http:www.iron-oxide.com/                         A noise band rather than
ambient!

martinw