Times piece on new shows

Jan Buxton janb@...
Tue Jan 11 15:37:40 CET 2005

 Three DJs to fill Peel's shoes
      By Adam Sherwin, Media Reporter

 IT WILL take three presenters to replace John Peel, Radio 1 said
yesterday as it unveiled a late-night alternative music slot to succeed
the broadcaster.

      After months of discussion, Radio 1 executives concluded that the
breadth of Peel's musical taste was so great that no single DJ could
take over.

      Rob Da Bank, the "chill-out" DJ who took over the show after Peel's
death from a heart attack last October, will continue to host the
two-hour Thursday programme, but Tuesday night has been awarded to Huw
Stephens, the copresenter of Radio 1's Bethan and Huw in Wales
programme, who is closer to the "underground" rock scene.

      Ras Kwame, a presenter on 1Xtra, the BBC's digital black music
station, will take over on Wednesdays. Kwame gave a first hearing to
talents on the British hip-hop and urban scene, including Lady Sovereign
and Kano, artists tipped to break into mainstream.

      Instead of the messy eclectism of Peel, the three shows will come
under the Radio 1 branding of One Music. The BBC promised that One Music
would "keep Peel's legacy alive" by "championing a diverse,
unpredictable and non-commercial mix of new music".

      A One Music website will give aspiring artists advice on all
aspects of the industry, from how to record a demo tape to what to be
aware of when signing a record contract.

      Radio 1 said that the three young DJs were chosen for their
in-depth musical know-ledge across a variety of genres. A production
team will ensure that the three shows represent a balance of music
through the week but the DJs are expected to focus on their own
passions.

      One Music will begin on February 1 and the "Peel Sessions", where
new artists are invited to record tracks at the BBC for exclusive
airing, will continue.

      Although Peel was famed for launching bands to stardom, One Music
will not be judged on creating hit artists. A spokesman said: "It will
seek out those making music for music's sake rather than for commercial
success."

      Andy Parfitt, the Controller of Radio 1, said: "As a DJ, John Peel
was unique. We have spent a long time debating how best to continue John's
work and believe that, by having a series of DJs hosting a selection of
shows, we will ensure that his legacy lives on."

      Stephens said: "I grew up listening to John so it is a massive
honour to be able to carry on the work that he did championing new
music. No one will be able to fill John's shoes but we can make sure his
inspiration keeps us hunting out the next musical gem."