[peel] Festive 50 - 2004

Jan Buxton janb@...
Sat Jan 1 17:58:14 CET 2005

On Saturday, January 01, 2005 4:30 PM [GMT+1=CET],
simon smith <moomin@...> wrote:

> In message <00c001c4ef86$62f0a250$2e90220a@...>, Jan Buxton
> <janb@...> writes
>> Well much as I really liked some of the things Peel brought to us
>> (Hefner, B+S, HMHB, that Caroline Martin record in the FF etc etc), I
>> also felt he played a lot of completely unlistenable rubbish.
>
> I've heard that said a million times about the Peel show and normally
> I think I know what people mean - Melt Banana or the Swans for
> example. However I'm not sure what was 'unlistenable rubbish' in this
> year's festive fifty - it seemed generally pretty melodious and
> conventional to me, apart from the Magic Band I suppose.

There wasn't any unlistenable rubbish in the FF IMO either. The above
comment was meant to refer to the general Peel show. What I would say
about this years FF is that there was a lot of unremarkable, listen once
and forget it, mediocre music by bands frankly lucky that Peel existed
(the Magic Band one of the exceptions). I've heard more interesting
records on daytime (Nightbreed - Pack Of Wolves for instance).

--
Jan