[peel] Re: Festive 50 'Boxed Sets' on ebay - Not what it seems

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Fri Feb 25 17:27:13 CET 2005

At 14:29 25/02/2005, robfleay@... wrote:

 >As I suspected - so essentially he has just done a CD-R compilation of every
 >years chart and is flogging it - that can't be legal can it? Given that a
 >large portion of F50 tracks will be under major label copyright &
publishing...

 >Funnily enough the user Flysmoke43 just won one of my ebay auctions (Babes
 >In Toyland Intermenstral boxset) so I have his real name and full address if
 >anyone is interested!

Since a lot of the FFs include a session track or two he is either
including wrong
versions or he's taken them off air

Legality is a question we need to stay away from for all our piece of mind!.
The BBC own the broadcast rights of their progs and they have an agreement
(that they have paid heavily for) which gives them Internet rights for 7
days after
broadcast.   The records companies own the rights to the records broadcast
(and the rights to everything including radio sessions recorded by artists
contracted to them).  Major labels tend to be very strict about this, indie
labels
much less so.   None of the rest of us have the right to do anything including
making copies for others whether given or sold.   In practice the degree to
which the
copyright owners enforce any of this is another matter.    The record
companies
have always accepted that they don't care about people making copies purely
for
their own use but that doesn't mean they have allowed people the legal
right to do it..

I am sure that many of us may have done a little of all this from time to
time  (says
he carefully not looking at the piles of CDs on the other side of the room!)
and I would suggest it's in everyone's interest to keep as much of this
person-to-person
and offlist as possible.  You never know who is reading.
I remember the slight difficulties that occurred on the Fall list when
people were talking
about bootlegs when it transpired that one of the copyright holders was
actually on the list
and funnily enough objected!

martinw