Huw's New Show

faggy_fewster not_appreciated@...
Thu Feb 3 11:43:45 CET 2005

I have to disagree - I really enjoyed Huw's show.

The first track he played (by Dutch oddballs Suicidal Birds) would
have been lapped up by Peelie - utterly strange stuff. Add to that
genuinely great tunes by Fleeing New York, 65 Days Of Static, Phantom
Buffalo and Pipettes and I finished the show with a long shopping
list of interesting stuff to investigate further - which is what I
always appreciated the great man for too.

OK, there was no truly mental stuff like Trencher and Melt Banana,
and the eclecticism was certainly not up to Peel's levels - but who
expected that?

I also felt drawn in by Huw's genuinely huge enthusiasm for the music
he
was playing - something that always set Peel apart too. Plus he seems
like a properly nice fella.

Having sat through Ras's pretty bland and commercial fare last night,
I feel the real shame is we're not getting Huw 3 nights a week. In
launching the 3-pronged One Music team, Radio 1 has effectively cut
the number of hours of new obscure indie music from 6 to 2. Fingers
crossed for Rob then...

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, Martin Wheatley <martinw@w...> wrote:
> Well was that eclectic or what.
> It ran the whole gamut from a Welsh indie band to .............
another
> Welsh indie band
> It was in fact the Session In Wales with the Zane-inspired heavy
metal
> replaced by a couple
> of token hiphop tracks.  Most of the forthcoming guests seem to be
Welsh as