[peel] Just joined the group

Paul Bryant pbryant98@...
Mon Dec 5 22:07:10 CET 2005

--- Neil Jenkins <neil_jenkins.geo@...> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
>   Welcome to the group.  (I'm not a spokesperson for
> it, you understand ... I just saw your posting and
> thought I'd chip in!)
>
>   No one on here charges for providing Peel stuff.
> Not only would that be decidedly illicit, but would
> also be dashed unPeel!!!  If people have something,
> and you ask nicely, you may find what you want.  The
> golden rule is to join in and allow others to
> experience, through you, the pleasure of your
> bounty.  Therefore, if someone copies something for
> you, offer to do the same for others.

I haven't Peeled much for anyone here since I collect
mostly the rather lovely psychedelical Peel shows of
the 67-72 era and these other fellows tend towards the
skronky call-that-music? shows of the 80s and 90s -
but as a general point of principle you can pretty
much get anything you need in terms of music by
joining the right yahoogroup. Nothing to do with Peel
(I'm fairly sure he would have hated it) but a mere
four days after Brian Wilson premiered Smile in London
an audience cd dropped through my mailbox. Somewhat
Peelier than that, being a fan of the highly obscure
duo Sophie and Peter Johnston from the late 80s who
made precisely one album and vanished I asked here in
this forum if anyone by any chance had their Peel
sessions and of course they had... (many thanks!)
   These days fans have the technology to do
everything record companies couldn't be arsed to do -
check out the ultracompletist Have You Got It Yet? Syd
Barrett cd series, the completist-radio-sessions
Incredible String Band series "God's Holiday" (part
one - 7 cds - already done - all their Peel sessions
and lots more, part two out soon!), and lots of other
projects. And no money changes hands, although it's
impossible to prevent some jerks flogging the stuff on
ebay.
   It's a golden age for music obsessives!

pb

Yahoo! DSL � Something to write home about.
Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com