Footie Thread

Stuart McHugh stuart@...
Thu Apr 14 16:24:44 CEST 2005

>Having listened to Top Gear when it used to be on on a Saturday
>afternoon (in the days when that was the only time football games were
>scheduled), I can't ever remember John talking about the scores or
>results during his show.  Maybe my memory has failed me but it seems his
>interest in football grew in recent years.

I can recall John doing his show in the 80s on Saturday afternoons,
during of the Beeb's many attempts to alienate him and his audience!
(I am fairly sure I didn't imagine this). Among the delights were Ian
McCulloch (Bunnyman, not Notts County striker) phoning in a match
report.
There was a thread on the rocking vicar newsletter just this week
about football-themed music. Can't recall much from the show which
was purely football-related (e.g. team songs etc) but obviously the
entire Half Man Half Biscuit back catalogue has fitba references
peppering it.
John's Fabric mix album has the Kop singing on it though.

Stuart