[peel] Re : Footie Thread

festive50@... festive50@...
Thu Apr 14 00:55:59 CEST 2005

Loved Adrian Sherwood's Barmy Army - Sharp as a Needle.
Another great footie song is:-
Dynamos vs Tornedos (Zimbabwe) by The Real Sound. JP played this (well at
least the 2nd half) 24.03.1987. It's basically a commentary set to music
with a calypso style narrative. In the 1st half the then president of
Zimbawe - Canaan Banana gets a mention (I think he actually kicks off).
It's great when a goal is scored and the commentator screams
"It's a Goooooalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!

Interestingly, although I cannot stand football, it's a case of "me no
understandee blokey talk". My wife has failed on numerous occasions to
explain the "offside rule" to me. I am fascinated by the obsession with
football and watch all films, dramas etc. about "The Beautiful Game", in
fact most things except that is, actual matches.
I think this aversion all dates back to the time I was in the cubs and
when I was selected to play for the cub team. My father (being from
Wolverhampton and a keen Wolves supporter), was over the moon as our
colours were gold and black. He was doubly over the moon, when I was
chosen to play centre half (which was his hero, Billy Wright's position).
Unfortunateley, that was where the similarity ended. Our team was crap (we
actually lost 1 game 21-0), and I was even worse.
Oops. This is supposed to be a music thread. Must have got carried away
with the footy theme.
Sorry.
Phil