a modest proposal [long] : in memoriam: alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.peel

Stuart McHugh stuart@...
Sun Oct 31 11:52:37 CET 2004

>BTW it'a not actually that  hard to get a group going in the defacto sense.
>You can bypass alot of the redtape by just requesting it on the main feeder
>servers like Supernews and Giganews.

that's interesting - this email group was set up, 3 or 4 years ago,
because the usenet moderators refused to allow the creation of a Peel
newsgroup (deeming the subject matter too similar to the existing
alt. music groups).
I see a few people have posted some fairly weighty Peel anecdotes and
memories, so I'll probably dig out the interview I did with him in
94, plus the transcript of Desert Island Discs and put them on here -
perhaps in instalments (these are on the web already but it'd not
seem right to drive traffic to my site using them).
There was a fair old barrage of stories and recollections on the
rockingvicar newsletter; I might see if there's a way of sharing
these with the people who aren't subscribers.

Stuart