Emailing: completeOrder.htm

Maureen mozy@...
Sun Oct 31 09:27:52 CET 2004

Dialog - Document Display

 Switch SubaccountNot SpecifiedCancel  Â  My Dialog  Manage Alerts  Help  Sign Off
                  Subaccount: Not Specified

                        NewsEdge Live News NewsRoom Profound Intelliscope Company Profiles

Back to Title List  Create Alert  Save Search

                  British DJ was new music champion
                  National Post, National, p AL11 10-28-2004

                 John Peel, the disc jockey who died on Monday aged 65,
                  promoted the more esoteric and extreme fringes of contemporary
                  popular music for more than 30 years, becoming a national
                  institution in the process.

                  Peel did not conform to the cliches of the rock 'n' roll fast life:
                  balding, paunchy, badly dressed, he had more the air of an anoraked
                  trainspotter. That was his attraction for generations of listeners,
                  for by eschewing the foibles of pop, and by resolutely championing
                  music that few other DJs would touch, he engendered trust among his
                  angst-ridden and suspicious teenage listeners, retaining their
                  loyalty as they grew up.
                  Always insisting that he had never sought the fame that attached
                  itself to him, he lived in Suffolk, at "Peel Acres," with his wife
                  and children, avoiding any of the glitter normally associated with
                  the music business.

                  Obituary of John Peel.

                  The appeal of his late-night show on the BBC's Radio One station
                  lay partly in his lack of hyperbole, in his ability to surprise the
                  listener, and that he clearly cared genuinely about music.

                  In the late 1960s he played Captain Beefheart, T-Rex, and the
                  Velvet Underground; he was an advocate for punk, reggae, hip hop,
                  noise, thrash and hardcore. He always admired innovation. He could
                  claim to have broken the Smiths, Pulp, the Fall and the Undertones
                  -- the last of whom, in 1978, were signed by Sire Records the day
                  after Peel played their home-produced EP on his show.

                  Peel said that, as a general principle, he would always be more
                  interested in a record that he had never heard before than in one he
                  had. Ninety per cent of the records he played had never been played
                  on radio before.

                  One of two sons of a cotton merchant, John Peel was born John
                  Robert Parker Ravenscroft at Heswall, near Liverpool, on August 31,
                  1939, and was brought up on the Wirral. A solitary child, he had
                  little contact with his parents. After prep school, he went to
                  Shrewsbury. Peel was a shy boy who tended toward obstinate
                  non-conformity, for that he paid in regular thrashings; the school
                  authorities, he recalled, "practically had to wake (me) up during
                  the night in order to administer the required number of sound
                  beatings."

                  After school he worked briefly in Liverpool in the family business,
                  then at a Rochdale cotton mill. From 1957 to 1959 he did his
                  National Service as a radar operator in the Royal Artillery. He
                  recalled: "The Army said afterward, 'At no time has he shown any
                  sign of adapting to the military way of life.' I took it as a
                  compliment."

                  In 1960 Peel left for the United States, landing in Dallas, Tex.,
                  where he worked for three years in crop insurance. He was present,
                  as a self-appointed stringer for the Liverpool Echo, at the press
                  conference for Lee Harvey Oswald, when the alleged assassin of
                  president Kennedy was shot and killed by Jack Ruby.

                  Then, after a telephone conversation with Russ Knight, a disc
                  jockey known as "the Weird Beard," Peel managed to secure employment
                  as a DJ on the station WRR. He soon discovered that in the U.S.,
                  with the onslaught of Beatlemania, a vague approximation of a
                  Liverpool accent accorded the speaker a certain cachet -- especially
                  among younger female pop fans, who regarded the nasal pronunciation
                  and short vowel sounds as powerfully exotic.

                  Adopting a Scouse twang, Peel offered himself on WRR as an expert
                  on all things Beatles-related -- more than once he interviewed
                  George Harrison, as played by himself -- and almost overnight found
                  himself a celebrity. "I was suddenly confronted by this succession
                  of teenage girls who didn't want to know anything about me at all.
                  All they wanted me to do was to abuse them, sexually, which of
                  course I was only too happy to do."

                  In 1967, he returned to London. The mere fact that Peel had been in
                  the U.S. soon procured him a job with Pirate Radio London, anchored
                  in the North Sea just off Felixstowe. Six months later, when the
                  station was closed down, he was recruited by the BBC for the new
                  Radio One.

                  His Perfumed Garden evening program, which featured such performers
                  as the 12-piece Principal Edward's Magical Theatre, the Third Ear
                  Band and stories about mice, soon attracted a cult following.

                  Peel's show had more than a whiff of joss-sticks about it. It also
                  showed the influence of Marc Bolan, a close friend of Peel before
                  the musician enjoyed mainstream success.

                  Despite the hallucinogenic overtones, Peel himself refrained from
                  indulging ("I never even saw him smoke a joint," recalled Germaine
                  Greer), and his affinity with hippie culture stemmed mostly from a
                  strong idealistic streak in his character; he was well known as an
                  easy touch for aspiring bands looking to fund the purchase of an
                  amplifier, instruments or even a van.

                  From the start, Peel's approach as a DJ -- to play music he saw as
                  innovative and of high quality, irrespective of its commercial
                  potential -- struck a chord with listeners. He was repeatedly voted
                  DJ of the year by readers of Melody Maker and New Musical Express.
                  And somehow, over more than three decades, he managed to remain on
                  the cusp of what was new without ever appearing merely modish.
                  Almost alone among BBC DJs, Peel was given free rein by his
                  employers to play whatever he wanted.

                  In his later years at Radio One, Peel forged an increasingly
                  formidable partnership with the producer John Walters, who defended
                  Peel's broadcasts against powerful but less articulate superiors at
                  the station, many of whom were out of sympathy with the broadcaster
                  throughout his period with the BBC. Peel described his relationship
                  with Walters (who died in 2001) as being that of "the organ-grinder
                  and the monkey. With each one believing the other to be the monkey."

                  In 1998, Peel found unexpected success on Radio 4 with Home Truths,
                  a domestically-oriented show based around interviews with perfectly
                  "normal" families. Even Peel's friend and protege Andy Kershaw, the
                  Radio One DJ, admitted the show was "cloying, sentimental and
                  indulgent;" but it drew more than 1.5 million listeners, no small
                  feat at 9 a.m. on a Saturday morning.

                  In 1999 the BBC marked his 60th birthday by scheduling a "John Peel
                  Night" in his honour. He had appeared on Desert Island Discs 10
                  years previously and was appointed OBE in 1998. In 2003 he was
                  offered (ps)1.5-million to write his autobiography. John Peel's first marriage was to a 15-year-old Texan girl who had
                  lied about her age; the marriage was dissolved soon after they
                  returned to Britain. He married secondly, in 1974, Sheila Mary
                  Gilhooly; they had two sons and two daughters. He became a
                  grandparent for the first time last year and announced that he
                  enjoyed "vigorously grandparenting."

                  Peel somehow managed to appear both enduringly adolescent and old
                  before his time. Relentlessly professional, his trademark was a
                  slightly weary but amused, deadpan style of presentation; he had a
                  dry, self-effacing wit and the ability to broadcast as if he were
                  speaking to just one person. Clearly not on the payroll of any
                  record company, his recommendations carried weight. Time and again,
                  music that seemed marginal when Peel first enthused about it came to
                  be accepted as being at the heart of the history of pop.

                  Peel's all-time favourite record, he liked to say, was the
                  Undertones's Teenage Kicks.

                  He expected to be sacked every week, and always regarded his future
                  employment prospects with paranoia. On one occasion, according to
                  lore, he was ordered to take a holiday; instead of doing so, he
                  chose to turn up at the radio station every night to stare out his
                  stand-in.

                  He was six before he met his father, who spent the war in North
                  Africa, for the first time; his mother, Peel later recalled, "was
                  frightened of me from the moment I was born", explaining that "she
                  told me that she was never sure what I was for".

                  Peel estimated the flagellation rate in his first term at "once
                  every three days... when I was 13 I was rather lovely, and much
                  sought-after by older boys who, if they developed an appetite for
                  you, could have you beaten on a number of pretexts. Several of them
                  have gone on to achieve positions of some eminence in the financial
                  world. I'm sometimes tempted to turn up with a little rouge on my
                  cheeks and say, 'I'm ready for you now, my angel,' to some ageing
                  captain of industry."

                  His one regret was that he could not sing, although he admitted
                  that this did not stop half of the people he featured on his radio
                  show from making records. "I'd like to be able to sing. Making a
                  noise like a dolphin is a very poor substitute."

                  During the 1990s Peel's voice was also frequently to be heard
                  narrating television documentaries on such quintessentially British
                  subjects as the Lancaster bomber, or on The Sound of the Suburbs, a
                  series in which Peel travelled round Britain examining pockets of
                  the country and the music that comes out of them.

                  Black & White Photo: Sean Cook, Getty Images / British
                  rock's best friend.

                  Copyright National Post 2004

                  Journal code NPT Language English Record Type Newspaper
                  Document type  ISSN  Word count 1760
                  Accession Number (Internal - Global)09699606 - NPT04226120

            SmartTerm Links
                  Industry   Company

                  Location   Subject

                  Search Text
                    New Search

      Back to Title List Create Alert Save Search

© 2004 Dialog, a Thomson business. All rights reserved.