post Peel :-(

graham steel g.j.steel@...
Wed Oct 27 16:35:03 CEST 2004

Zitat von markbursa@...:

> What is becoming clear is regardless of the broadcasting vacuum (in terms  of
> the programme itself) that Peel has left, a bigger vacuum is the "unbiased
> third-party A&R" job that Peel has consistently performed. Replacing that
> part
> of the man's work is the really hard part - and the really essential  part.

I agree. There is no chance of replacing JP with somebody with his encyclopedic
knowledge of music, so the punctuation of the show with old gems from 50 years
ago is something we will lose, but the new music is important. Without someone
prepared to do the kind of work involved in listening to thousands of demos, as
well as releases on labels with no big-money promotion, the music scene will
suffer badly. JP wouldn't have liked that any more than we will.

There is a lot of interest in JP right now from people who perhaps haven't
listened to his show for years. Yesterday I had over 3000 people visit the JP
mp3 website I manage, and more than that today already. I know many other
people on the list run Peel-related sites too - we could direct all these
people somewhere to sign up and say 'you can't replace Peel, but we need
someone who will play eclectic new music on the radio', then forward that to
R1. Is it worth trying? What do people think?

graham

--
www.radio.plus.com