This Sad Day

troche2255 troche@...
Wed Oct 27 02:25:55 CEST 2004

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Strong" <robstrong@b...>
wrote:
> From: "troche2255" <troche@m...>
>
> > Now we are on our own.
>
> Tom,
> I've picked one brief comment from your post, because it was
the only thing
> that jarred with me.

> really don't think we're on our own at all.
>
> Rob

Thank you Rob. What I mean, and meant, is that we have had
this fantastic amazing luxury of having a person listen to all the
great music AND all the dreck that comes out each week. Then
he'd make wonderfully knowledgeable and wise choices for us,
and present it in a tight two hour package. Week after week, year
after year.

I saw him put these shows together. There was so much of
lame stuff to wade through and discard - so many copy-cat
releases of some sound/trend sound from four months back that
sounded fine to me but he had already moved on in search of
something new.

He could spend a six hour listening session putting together 2
hours of killer stuff. Who else bothered? Who else will bother
tomorrow?

I have lived through enough eras to know that there will always
be those who grow older and "act their age" and announce that
all the music that is out right now is crap. Well bullocks to that.
What we all know here is that there ALWAYS was (and is) good
music out there.... but that it is rarely handed to you; you have to
go out and find it.

For 35 years, show after show, John was among the very few
who generously handed it to us as if to say, "Here, my gift, I
sorted all this out and I hope you like it."

Or to quote his exact intro on his very best new discoveries "I
think you're going to like this..." and that's when you knew hoo
boy here comes something great.

And now that is over. We are not completely on our own now,
right. But the next new obscure gem of a new band just became
a lot harder to come by without digging it up ourselves.

tom