[peel] Re: john peel 1939-2004

Phil Edwards festive50@...
Wed Oct 27 00:40:48 CEST 2004

I'm sure all of us have been listening to some of JP today. Well, I was no
exception and chose a show from June this year, featuring a Laura Cantrell
session from Peel Acres (in this show he was the proud father announcing
Flossie getting her degree) and ironically: -
1) He mentioned a drive and tuning in to Radio 2 and listening to Bob Harris
hoping to hear some "country".
2) Even more weird. I've been revisiting my JP database recently due to
renewed interest and that track  "Roy Harper's
'When an Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease'" appears as 4th item on screen
when you view the main table (No 47 in 1976 Festive 50) and when I saw it I
thought of that night he played it when Walters died.

Phil

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Gyford [mailto:gyford@...]
Sent: 26 October 2004 23:23
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [peel] Re: john peel 1939-2004

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, rockerq@a... wrote:

> PS did anyone else hear the Radio 4 news feature a soundbite from
"Old friend
> of Peel" Bob Harris, or was I hallucinating?

There was a full interview with Bob Harris on Radio 1 or 6 Music (I
can't recall which I was listening to at that point) this afternoon.
He didn't make a huge thing out of being friend of Peel, and
emphasised that their musical interests had diverged greatly over more
recent years. I think they worked more closely together a long time
ago or something.

I remember when John Walters passed away, Peel played Roy Harper's
'When an Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease' at the end of the show, and
it made me cry then. I can't quite bear to listen to it again now.

Yahoo! Groups Links