john peel 1939-2004

Phil Gyford gyford@...
Wed Oct 27 00:22:47 CEST 2004

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, rockerq@a... wrote:

> PS did anyone else hear the Radio 4 news feature a soundbite from
"Old friend
> of Peel" Bob Harris, or was I hallucinating?

There was a full interview with Bob Harris on Radio 1 or 6 Music (I
can't recall which I was listening to at that point) this afternoon.
He didn't make a huge thing out of being friend of Peel, and
emphasised that their musical interests had diverged greatly over more
recent years. I think they worked more closely together a long time
ago or something.

I remember when John Walters passed away, Peel played Roy Harper's
'When an Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease' at the end of the show, and
it made me cry then. I can't quite bear to listen to it again now.