RDB and Peel links/intros

Robert Ayres robert.ayres@...
Fri Nov 26 11:13:03 CET 2004

From: "Phil Edwards" <festive50@...>
<snip>
So once again, give RDB a chance, because after all, if we don't support him
(till at least Christmas) and the ratings drop, then "The Suits" step in and
the program style gets dropped and then what do we get?
</snip>

I agree with Phil but think that RDB is too far removed from the music for
him to be considered as an adequate Peel replacement. RDB's comment last
night "don't blame me, I only play the records" after playing a terrific and
very weird Grandmaster Gareth tune sums it up for me. I have listened to his
show several times and have enjoyed the music but its obvious that he is
merely playing tracks that are predominantly chosen for him.

Well done to Louise and Hermeet for keeping the Peel vibe alive: I believe
they are the true holders of the Peel Flame; but nice chap though he may be
RDB is simply not into Peel Music enough.

John Peel had many fine and human qualities but he was also a consumate
professional in his dedication and love for music. He was our teacher and
gave us an appreciation of many types of off-centre music, he was the
antithesis of Radio 1 mainstream mentality and got away with it. The sheer
volume of music he waded through, filtered and featured was an immense task.
He cared so much about the music, so delighted in treating his audience to
astounding new sounds, and he championed so many artists - he was genuine in
his desire to help them.

And so, for me, the most pertinent difference between RDB and 'the real
thing' is most obviously manifested in RDB's lack of knowledge of, and
interest in, the music he is playing. John would habitually give a lot of
information about the tracks he featured: the names of the band members, the
record label, the mail order/web address if it was not widely available,
etc. This is why the current format of the John Peel show is so weird and
also unsustainable: RDB is merely a presenter and not a passionate advocate
of the music he is playing.

But let's also not forget one of John's other superb attributes: his often
fantastic links/intros between tracks. A corker from a show C.1993 goes
something like:

"and if you aren't already familiar with the music of Papa (name of an
African artist) then you should have your body hairs removed one by one over
a three week period... but have you heard of Papa (name of another African
artist)?" Cue African record.

Has anyone else got any other good Peel links/intros they can share with the
group?

Robert