Memories from South East Asia

Ivan luxuria68@...
Fri Nov 26 11:02:16 CET 2004

Fantastic memoir from Trevor Dann! Brings back all those great
memories of 21 years ago when I discovered Peelie through the
wonderful BBC World Service. At the time, I was absolutely bored to
death with having to listen to the only local radio station in good
old "Surprising Singapore" whose programming ranged from moldy oldies
like Matt Munro to Top 40 fare like fishnet-era Madonna and the
occasional ray-of-sunshine of a Police track! So, imagine my great
surprise and excitement one day when I chanced upon a daytime
broadcast of John Peel's World Service programme while twiddling the
tuning knob in search of something interesting one fateful day in
1983! I was absolutely thrilled to bits hearing all these strange and
wonderful noises being played by bands with equally strange and
wonderful names like the Inca Babies, Microdisney, The Wolfgang
Press, The Bomb Party, Half Man Half Biscuit... and who can forget
the Frank Chickens! In just one half-hour, Peelie had saved me from
teenage hell! I was hooked and my life was never the same again. For
the next ten years or so, I became a regular devotee to all of his
World Service slots, even the repeat broadcasts!

John was THE MAN who introduced me to such greats as Joy Division,
Buzzcocks, the Smiths and of course, the mighty Fall! My interest in
his show reached such feverish heights that for every show I caught,
I would make sure to scribble down the names of every band or artist
(as well as their respective song and album titles) that John would
introduce!

For me, one of the best things about John, was that occasionally he
would take the trouble to actually read out some of the letters I
wrote him on the air! I was so ecstatic at the thought of my name
being spoken to thousands (if not millions) of people around the
world as John read out my letters! The highest point of my listening
experience with John was circa 1991 or '92 when I heard John play my
request for Magazine's "Shot By Both Sides" as a dedication to the
then emerging -- though already fast fragmenting -- alternative music
scene in Singapore. It really made feel on top of the world when some
of my mates in the scene told me they heard it at the time, too!

But as with all teenage kicks, my religious dedication to John's show
soon waned with the advent of the duties and responsibilities of my
burgeoning young adulthood. I stopped being a regular listener when I
was about 23 years old when I became bogged down by the drudgery and
demands of the grown up working world. By then, it was becoming very
hard to keep tuning in to his WS show, as it was either being
broadcast during the times I was working (4.30pm Singapore time) or
during the the wee hours of the morning (1.30am!)

But my love for Peelie and his inimitable dry humour and incredible
choice of music never really waned. From time to time during the last
few years, I would chance upon one of his broadcasts and I must say
that it seemed and sounded like the man had never really aged in all
these past 20 years or since that one fateful afternoon for me in
1983. It was truly amazing that after all these years, the man still
found the time and energy to continue discovering and promoting new
bands and artists with such indefatiguable passion!

And so it was with great irony and personal devastation when I
learned one morning in November 2004 through the latest incarnation
of that dreadfully mediocre Singapore radio station  that John Peel
had died! Just imagine the news of the death of your all-time
favourite Radio DJ being revealed as the subject of a radio call-in
contest on the very radio station that was so dire back in 1983 and
was and still dire now in 2004!

I was stunned at the news and my heart sank. The first thoughts
running through my mind then were, "Who's going to point the way
where pop music is heading now?" and "Will we ever get to hear other
DJs spouting such wonderful gems of wit as only Peelie could?" Of
course, and alas, my answers to these questions were, "Nevermore!"

Be that as it may, all I really want to say is, "Thank you very much
John for saving my life from mediocrity and helping to instil in me a
broadminded approach not only in my appreciation of music, but also
in all other aspects of life like art, social issues and politics.
You may be gone in the flesh, but your spirit lives on in my heart.
Goodbye and thanks for all lovely nights spent in the 80's with my
head held close to the tinny speaker of my dinky clock radio, hanging
on to every word you said."

- Ivan Thomasz
Telok Blangah Crescent
Singapore

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "Nigel U" <npu65@b...> wrote:
> Memories of a free spirit
> John Peel was a broadcasting legend. But his colleague Trevor Dann
remembers him as a friend, a family man and a lifelong Liverpool
supporter

> It was like meeting the Pope, or at least the Maharishi. There we
were, my friend Alan and I, two 15-year-olds queuing up to greet the
great man, our hero, our mentor, our spiritual guide. As fervent
listeners to the pirate Radio London, we'd learnt everything from
John Peel.

> We recorded The Beatles' Sergeant Pepper album when he played it
all the way through without speaking. We'd gazed at the stars when he
told us to, and thought good thoughts so we could change the world.
He'd introduced us to Captain Beefheart, Jefferson Airplane and The
Doors.

> And yet here was the apotheosis of counterculture opening a summer
garden-party at a girls' school in rural Derbyshire. He was in late
Sixties uniform - the tie-dye T-shirt, cotton loons and plimsolls -
while the school governors and the parents buzzed around in their
suits and twinsets, clucking disapprovingly. Years later, he blinked
in that beguiling way he had and told me why he'd gone there. "Well,
Trevor, when you're on board a ship with nothing but blokes for
company, an invitation to visit a girls' school is, er, quite
irresistible."

> He signed my copy of the programme for the fête that day - "Love &
peace, John Peel". I treasured it, and still do. But he was
dismissive when I took it into Radio 1 a decade or so later. By then,
I was a new radio producer and he was the venerable BBC institution
who'd renounced hippiedom and embraced the energy and attitude of
punk. "I used to talk a lot of bollocks in those days," he said.

> John and I didn't get off to the best start at Radio 1. In my first
week, I went up to the Broadcasting House continuity suite where he
presented his late-night show and asked if I could watch. I didn't
know that he hated what he called "broadcasting in a zoo". To make
amends I got him a coffee and placed it on the desk as he leant to
one side to cue up a record. As he straightened up his elbow knocked
the coffee all over the faders, necessitating a rapid switch to the
next studio.

> Minutes later, his wife arrived. Cue another howler. "You must be
Shirley," I ventured. They both laughed. I felt very
uncomfortable. "No, this is Sheila," Peel said. But why had my simple
mistake had such an effect? Some days later, he explained that
Shirley was the name of his first wife, an American woman who Peel
always claimed had beaten him up and then pursued him to Britain,
where he was taking refuge with Sheila.

> One of the few consolations of the tragic news from Peru this week
was that Sheila was there with him. He was devoted to the Pig, as he
always called her, and he wore a silver ring with a pig on it. In
fact, I think John defined himself more as parent and husband than a
broadcaster. In spite of his acid tongue, he was a sentimental man
who'd blub at the drop of a hat, especially at family successes.

> It was one of the many contradictions in Peel's life that the man
who sought out angry, urban music in some of the seedier inner-city
clubs lived an idyllic rural life in an isolated Suffolk cottage.
>From the splendidly named Nan Trues Hole - truly John's bolt hole -
no other building is visible. In recent years, the BBC allowed him to
broadcast his show via an ISDN line from home. He began to sound like
the religious leader he was to so many of us, letting fall his pearls
of wisdom from a musical Eden.

> In 1983, I produced "the Peel show", as it was always called, for a
few months before leaving for television. I made one change. John
Walters and Chris Lycett, my predecessors, had allowed Peel to choose
all his own music, but they had retained the right to assemble the
tracks into a running order. In some cases, this amounted to no more
than finding two songs with the same word in the title and putting
them together so John could do a DJ-style link. Which, of course, he
never did. So I suggested that he should do the running order in
future. He looked at me with the grateful eyes of a kid meeting Santa
and thanked me as effusively as if I'd given him a new toy.

> I loved the opening to his show in those days. In would come the
low dum-da-dum of Grinderswitch's "Picking the Blues", and after the
slide guitar figure we'd be treated to the usual litany of awkward
and unpronounceable band names. Regular listeners may have noticed
that, for pure devilment, John would sometimes trail a band who
didn't exist - "... and the Flying Creamshots in session". He'd seen
the phrase in a Dutch porno mag.

> He loved Holland, and regularly hosted the Pink Pop Festival. He
claimed that the Dutch liked him because his name translates as John
Prick. Like many of John's anecdotes it may not have been strictly
true, but somehow details like that never mattered. It was just a joy
to listen to his fund of stories. Life had a knack of happening to
John. He always cast himself as the unworldly ingénue at large in a
cruel and unforgiving world.

> Also in 1983, Radio 1 was staging a week's programming from
Liverpool and someone suggested that Peel and I should make an
introductory show about his home city. Persuading him to depart from
the safety of the studio was a nightmare, but once he'd agreed (with
the condition that his daughter and her teenage Goth friend could
accompany us), he created a magical programme.

> From the passenger seat of our hired car, he guided the two girls
and me around the streets of Liverpool, pointing out the key
landmarks of his early life. "That's where I saw my first gig. Eddie
Cochran wasn't it, oh no, it was the Obernkirchen Children's Choir
singing 'Val deri, val dera'!" And: "There's the Royal Insurance
where brother Frank works." And: "That's the train that takes the
rich people to Heswall."

> And thence to Anfield, home of his beloved Liverpool FC. He took me
on the Kop - all standing and swaying in those days - and I recorded
his thoughts and reactions to an FA Cup tie against unfancied
Brighton. Liverpool famously lost that day, so I got nothing at all
out of John except a few grunts, and nothing from the Kop characters
apart from a wet trouser-leg thanks to the inebriated Scouser behind
me who couldn't be bothered to fight his way to the gents.

> The following morning we met Kenny Dalglish, Peel's absolute hero,
for a pre-arranged interview. Dalglish gave the usual pat
footballer's answers to some questions about the game, and Peel was
still so depressed about the match that he couldn't bring himself to
conduct a proper interview. In the end I had to ask the questions,
and we dubbed in some commentary later.

> That Merseyside expedition was also notable for the teenage scally
John had found to talk to us about being young in Liverpool in the
Eighties. We met on an estate in a pub that I thought was called The
Chester, but turned out be The Jester. And we listened to tales of
burglary, football violence and routine drug-use from a thoroughly
engaging lad I thought no more of until I saw The Farm singing "All
Together Now" on Top of the Pops. It was Peter Hooton, their lead
singer. Once again, Peel the talent-spotter had been ahead of his
time.

> He liked to use a football metaphor when talking about his appetite
for new music. Of course he was proud of Liverpool FC's championships
and European Cups, but "I'm much more interested in what happens on
Saturday". He found something life-affirming in the quest for novelty
and the refusal to look back.

> When I was producing his Radio 1 show, I asked him to play the
occasional old record to help to introduce his young audience to some
of the acts he had championed in the past. I argued that Smiths fans
might be interested in Van Morrison or Tim Buckley if they were
introduced to them by John Peel. But he would have none of it. The
two hours of airtime he had every day were too precious to devote to
anything other than the latest sounds from the streets, pubs and
bedrooms, and from teenage Britain.

> In the Eighties, I was asked to write a profile of John for a
newspaper. He was a reluctant interviewee, but I managed to cobble
together what I thought was a reasonable piece. When it appeared,
though, he was cross with me for drawing attention to his love of
driving. He didn't think it was a big part of his life, even though
he spent hours at the wheel and refused to fly until only a few years
ago.

> I'd spent hours debating with him the fastest way to London from
Suffolk. I was an advocate of the A10; he preferred the A505 right
round Royston to the A1. For weeks, he would keep me informed of
various time trials he'd done using different routes, all proving
that he was right in the first place. How silly that we should waste
so much time on something so trivial, but that was John; once the bee
was in the bonnet, it just kept buzzing.

> The Peel/Walters office at Egton House, the old home of Radio 1,
was a shambles, hung with Christmas cards from decades earlier and
packed to the ceiling with tapes and vinyl. Walters was the untidiest
man in the BBC, and would never have survived in the era of open-plan
offices. Peel and their faithful secretary Sue (known as Brian, in a
spiffing chaps' wheeze kind of way) kept on at him, but nothing
changed.

> So John had to sit on his record case or the floor because there
was no room for a chair. This became even more ludicrous when John
had one of his famous early evening naps. The door would closegently,
and the greatest living DJ would snore through two hours, wrapped
around a desk leg, a bin and a pile of NMEs.

> When I arrived back at Radio 1 in 1995 as the head of production,
with a brief to overhaul the music policy and the on-air sound of the
station, Peel was as comfortable as I'd ever seen him with the BBC
management. The pop'n'prattlers were on their way out, and the new
controller, Matthew Bannister, had endeared himself to Peel by making
all sorts of public statements about his support for new music. I
remember Peel and Andy Kershaw talking about Bannister on the radio
and saying: "Well, we're safe - one day Radio 1 will sound like our
shows all day long."

> But John's unease with management resurfaced when the axe started
to fall on people he liked. He got quite angry with me about the
departure of one producer he was particularly fond of, and he took on
the mantle of a stubborn trade-union leader arguing, in effect, that
all change at Radio 1 was a bad thing. Underneath that friendly
grumpy-old-man exterior lurked a genuine grumpy old man.

> When asked about his favourite record in the 1970s, he used to talk
about Link Wray's dirty and foreboding guitar solo "Rumble" and T
Rex's "Ride a White Swan". He delighted in the story that when Marc
Bolan made No 1 for the first time, Peel had been driving in his car
and had to pull over on to the hard shoulder as his eyes filled with
tears.

> But for many years his choice of best record ever was "Teenage
Kicks" by The Undertones, I think because it reminded him of what
music is there for. Once he'd kicked the somnambulism of the acid and
dope years and rediscovered beer (he always credited The Faces for re-
energising him in the early Seventies), he espoused music that
celebrated youth and vigour.

> John Peel won hundreds of awards. But he was a genuinely reluctant
celebrity; he hated what fame did to people and he had no truck with
the insincerity of showbiz hangers-on. In fact, I've no doubt that if
he knew that I, or indeed anyone outside a close circle of family and
friends, was writing about him, he'd be coming after me with a meat
cleaver. I can hear him saying so.

> I was in Berlin when I heard the shocking news of John's death.
Even the teletext in my hotel room put the news on their front page,
which gives some indication of his worldwide reputation. Since
Tuesday morning when the news broke (although it had been embargoed
until 2pm), I've received dozens of texts and e-mails from friends
who've been touched by the great man. One came from an old friend I
haven't seen in more than 20 years. "You told me so many funny, warm
stories about John," she wrote, "that I felt I knew him a bit, too,
and I was thrilled when he gave me a big smile and a good morning in
Diss last April." John had that effect on people. He made you feel
better.

> He became a broadcasting icon because he had no artifice, no style,
no shtick. What you got the across the table at an Indian restaurant
was what you got on the radio: passion, honesty and an understated
facility for language. Younger broadcasters described as the new John
Peel have come and gone for 40 years, but the original was always the
best.