[peel] Re: Am I Being Nasty?

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Fri Nov 19 10:06:18 CET 2004

I think we should remember that at the moment most of
the records are ones that have already been through the Peel
filter system even if the hadn't programmed them yet.  We won't be
able to judge until they actually start picking new records for themselves.
That probably won't happen too much until a decision is made on
whether the prog as is will be extended beyond the new year
Rob at the moment is really being just a presenter rather than a compiler
His delivery is quite similar to that he used on Blue Room (which he is not
actually doing at the moment so you can't compare)
We do know that Peel liked Rob as a dj because he said so on air once or twice
and I suspect he may have had a hand in picking him as the holiday standin

One innovation I do like is playing an old session track each show

There will be some stylistic differences and that's inevitable. The 808
State was
probably a Rob choice  since its the sort of thing he plays on the Blue Room
- as he has a 'chillout' dance background you must expect that.  There have
been few African records except old favourites whose name Louise recognised
when they were requested.  Truth is none of 3 probably know that much about
African music - on the other Rob is much stronger on reggae than Peel was.
Its going to be swings and roundabouts.

I hope that the current 3 continue - at least long enough that we can get some
sense of how good they are at picking new music.  That hasn't happened yet

martinw