Peel's Progs

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Mon Nov 1 12:56:40 CET 2004

Amongst the understandable enthusiasm here for making Peel's
  old works available something needs to be pointed out

All Peel's radio shows are copyright.    Now I don't particularly care
how much people break that (I may do it myself occasionally!) but
you should be aware of it and take precautions because there are risks
involved

The situation is as I understand it is that the BBC have broadcasting rights
on all his progs.    We have to distinguish between spoken
progs and music progs.  Subject to what is in Peel's contract the BBC can do
what they like with Home Truths.   But the music progs are different - apart
from the broadcasting rights all the BBC have is their very expensively
acquired agreement with the music industry to stream on the Internet
at a low bitrate progs for 7 days after broadcast .   The tribute shows
will have
to start coming down tomorrow because of this.

The situation with sessions is complicted   Where a band has a major label
contract that contract is going to cover all their recorded output so the
sessions
will be the property of the label with the BBC as an outside producer (this
is what's
been holding the long planned complete Peel sessions set).  Some of the
sessions
even have a limited number of broadcasts built into the contract and so
can't be
repeated at all
Where the band is with an indie label then they are usually much more open
and the sessions usually belong to the BBC but requires the permission of
all the
participants for anything to be done other than just a re-broadcast on the BBC

I doubt if the BBC care about this but the problem is the music industry
who are
dyslexic..  They can only read one character and its £    The British
authorities
are beginning to follow the line of the RIAA in America and they don't care
about context
  - they chase old ladies and children

So please be careful out there.  If it's too widespread and too open you could
get into trouble so please some precautions into anything you do

martinw