[peel] Morrissey-Marr

simon smith moomin@...
Fri May 21 15:10:50 CEST 2004

In message <20040521075816.65807.qmail@...>, Michael
Gilham <parkrow1@...> writes
>Aside from some of Marr's work w/ Matt Johnson and the earlier
>Electronic stuff; sadly, he's become almost irrelevant.  If you've not
>heard Johnny Marr and The Healers, and find fault with this last
>statement, please reserve judgement until you have done.
>http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/04.gif

I find it impossible to escape the conclusion that Marr completely
relied on the rest of The Smiths (not just Morrissey) to create great
music. During that time he produced some of the most gorgeous, original
and concise guitar playing I've ever heard, but in the sixteen years
since he's sounded a like just a good jobbing session musician. Andy
Rourke and Mike Joyce played wonderfully along with the guitar, and I
suppose it's a cliché to say they never got the credit they deserved.
Maybe their propulsion was crucial?
Maybe I'm talking a lot of nonsense, I'm not a musician after all.

Anyway, it's beyond doubt that Agata of Melt Banana is the best guitar
player in the world right now, apart from my friend Michael of course.

--
simon