re. recording peel

christone@... christone@...
Thu Jun 24 17:55:05 CEST 2004

After years of messing about with cassette tapes, I bought a
portable MiniDisc, a hifi recorder that is small enough to
sit in the palm of your hand.  It's a great solution.  I
bought a Sony:-

- I connect it to my hifi amp in the same way as I used to
connect my cassette recorder
- I set it to LP2, meaning that a single disc will record for
something like 2.5 hours
- I press the 'go' button at five minutes to ten, and cancel
the hifi speakers..... and go to bed!

It records and then turns itself off without further
attention.

Quality is much better than those hopeless old cassettes, and
approaches CD - though MiniDisc _does_ use data compression.

The editing facilities are excellent - mark and keep the
songs you like, bin the rest, and there's still room on the
disc for another few days' worth.  Jump from marked track to
marked track like on a CD player.  Maybe go back and review
your selections, keeping some, binning others, burning some
to a CDROM if you like (whoops, tsssk, etc)......  Or simply
delete the entire disc and start again (they are said to last
indefinitely, though I find that the mechanical wear and tear
factor sometimes - sometimes - comes into play with well-used
discs).

I play it back through my home stereo, via the CD-IN jack on
my car system, on headphones on the bus, on other peoples'
systems, wherever...

My old Yamaha cassette recorder has been consigned to
the 'old technology' stack.  That stuff dates from the
1960s....there is absolutely no comparison with the new
digital recording stuff, which wins hands down every time,
believe me.

Firmly recommended