[peel] recording peel

Dave Chapman dave2@...
Thu Jun 24 01:30:56 CEST 2004

Jan Robertson wrote:
> as july & the new radio 1 timetable draws nearer I'm looking for an easier
> way of recording the peel shows. I know that the shows are available online
> afterwards for a week but I find that it doesn't always work. Can anyone
> suggest a way of recording as mp3s (say a particular tv/radio card plus good
> recording software?) as I won't be able to stay up and record manually as
> before :(

I don't know if this is available in the UK, but it looks fun:

http://www.pogoproducts.com/radio_yourway.html

As for PC cards, if you have good "Freeview" TV reception, then you
should consider a Freeview ("DVB-T") card for your PC - I've heard
people say good things about the "Nebula" card, but there are quite a
few to choose from.  Google will probably find lots of people talking
about them.  They range in cost from about 60 to 100 pounds.

The advantage of the using a DVB card is that you can record the
compressed broadcast directly.  DVB uses "MP2" compression, which is
similar to MP3, and most MP3 players can play back the MP2 files created
when you record from those cards.  The advantage is that playing back
the recording sounds identical to listening to the live broadcast.

Unless you're using Linux, I can't help with software recommendations.

Dave.