[peel] Re: Peel on Demand

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Mon Jul 12 09:46:41 CEST 2004

 >> The way to maximize the bitrate is to download the actual Real Audio
 >>   file and then play it on your own Real player.
 >> There are several progs you can use to do this.  My favourite is
 >Net Transport
 >> from    http://www.xi-soft.com/default.htm     which you can use
 >for free
 >> The BBC file names to enter into it are
 >> rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio1/peel_tue.ra
 >> rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio1/peel_wed.ra
 >> rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio1/peel_thu.ra
 >>

 >On the other hand, the recorded stream is of a slightly lower
 >quality, at 32 kbps. I don't think the Net Transport can record a
 >live stream, but yes, it is a very handy tool.
 >
 >CK

But the point is that John doesn't need to record a live stream - he can
take the file from the Play Again the following day
A live stream however can be recorded using the timer on TotalRecorder
from http://www.HighCriteria.com

I don't know whether the file on the Play Again has the same bitrate as the
actual live stream but I suspect it would have

Net Transport downloads the file from which the stream is generated
so if you play that file on your own computer it will be at the maximum
bitrate (whatever that is) and not subject to further limitations imposed by
Internet traffic.  Whether it is worth the bother is another matter since
it's a long download as the BBC have downloads from their site throttled

martinw