Peel on Demand

ckitlee cklee@...
Mon Jul 12 05:29:32 CEST 2004

>  >Has anyone else noticed this drop in quality, and does anyone
know what the
>  >actually quality is - no where can I find any indication of the
sampling
>  >rate.  This question becomes less academic when Peel moves to the
>  >God-forsaken late night slot and I use this facility rather than
stay up
>  >till the early hours.
>  >

The best that I can get is 44.1 kbps for the live stream. I can
consistently achieve that bit rate until most recently. Yes, the
quality has dropped recently. I wonder if that also has to do with
the number of big sports events going on (such as Euro 2004 and the
forthcoming Olympics) as I noticed in the past that quality from the
BBC live streams dropped significantly in period of big international
events.

> The way to maximize the bitrate is to download the actual Real Audio
>   file and then play it on your own Real player.
> There are several progs you can use to do this.  My favourite is
Net Transport
> from    http://www.xi-soft.com/default.htm     which you can use
for free
> The BBC file names to enter into it are
> rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio1/peel_tue.ra
> rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio1/peel_wed.ra
> rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio1/peel_thu.ra

On the other hand, the recorded stream is of a slightly lower
quality, at 32 kbps. I don't think the Net Transport can record a
live stream, but yes, it is a very handy tool.

CK