[peel] Re: Prog doc on BBC 4

simon smith moomin@...
Sat Jan 24 16:19:10 CET 2004

In message <a05100300bc3800462044@[10.0.1.2]>, Stuart McHugh
<stuart@...> writes
>It seems that our friend above is  the only person that's seen this
>programme*, so it's hard to say if Peelie was being really scathing
>about prog. I find that unlikely; after all, his show is based on
>underground music, and right up until 1976 this was a large part of it.
>When punk arrived Peel championed it but since the show is about stuff
>that gets no airplay elsewhere, it was fortunate that Alan Freeman was
>giving the likes of ELP plenty of airplay.

Peel *loathed* ELP from the start! He's always very happy to pronounce
on them. On the programme he was utterly scathing about them and their
audience (he was at their first gig - or so he says - I don't entirely
trust the old man's memory nowadays). I also remembering him saying that
he was reduced to tears by a Nice gig when they played some rocked-up
classical number.
He had a couple of sessions from Genesis, I think, not sure about Yes,
but I don't think he played them. He always supported the Floyd.
At that time his selection of tracks was less personal and was partly
determined by the producer. Even in '79 he was playing *the whole* of
Bob Dylan Live at Budokan, in separate sections over several programmes.

--
simon smith