Prog doc on BBC 4

Stuart McHugh stuart@...
Sat Jan 24 12:07:05 CET 2004

>Once again the great Radio One 'Rock' DJ airs his self promoting
>arrogant and ignorant opinion of so called prog rock.He doesnt like
>it

<snip>
It seems that our friend above is  the only person that's seen this
programme*, so it's hard to say if Peelie was being really scathing
about prog. I find that unlikely; after all, his show is based on
underground music, and right up until 1976 this was a large part of
it. When punk arrived Peel championed it but since the show is about
stuff that gets no airplay elsewhere, it was fortunate that Alan
Freeman was giving the likes of ELP plenty of airplay. Tommy Vance's
metal show which ate into the Peel schedule arrived just after this
time and often crossed the line between 'rock' and 'prog'.
I can't recall if Peel played  much prog after 1976, it would have
sat rather uncomfortably with the masses of punk records, and I
suspect that he was as bored with it as the punks were - but played
it because there was little else being produced. These days of course
the show incorporates probably every genre of music imaginable and
prog will turn up occasionally,usually in the form of an old Pink
Floyd record.
I should imagine* that whatever Peel said about prog, it was
tongue-in-cheek, probably poking fun at the bands' haircuts or
trousers. Regular listeners should know Peelie's sense of humour by
now.

Stuart