Keeping It Peel

ady foley adyfoley@...
Wed Dec 22 16:37:59 CET 2004

Hi all,

Sadly i missed most of the show so it was nice to read the reports on
the tribute show last week.  I was driving off to a gig and only caught
part of the documentary, including the playback of John mentioning his
holiday and hoping to be back in November fully refreshed which was
most poignant.  Then on my way home i managed to catch the Wedding
Present and Nina Nastasia sets which were also very fitting.

Hearing Nina, I was reminded of the ATP festival which John of course
had attended a couple of times, and earlier this month at the festival,
Shellac had dedicated their song (and their set) the End of Radio to
the memory of John to many cheers from the crowd which was a really
nice moment.  With Lightning Bolt and The Fall also playing amongst
others, John's spirit was definitely there too.

I was also speaking with a friend the other day about the time we'd met
John, (separately and albeit briefly) and how he'd made us laugh with
so few words but had also made such an impact on us. We agreed then to
keep it Peel in our own way, which we will be doing.

Anyway, sorry to be so verbose, I'll get back to the main reason for my
post which was these couple of links...

the first of which is a review of last weeks show:

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/news/story.jsp?story=594032

and the other is a feature on John's funeral with comments from friends
and family by Mark Ellen from next month's Word magazine:

http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/johnpeel.pdf

all the best

Ady