[peel] Keep it Peel at Maida Vale

festive50@... festive50@...
Mon Dec 13 15:12:41 CET 2004

Thanks for all of those tips re. Maida Vale.

> I've been invited to attend with one other by Louise, and am quite
> surprised and honoured to get an invite - especially when you consider
> they've not given away places on the show.  My family, friends and I were
> going to meet Mr Peel on the 22nd December at the Maida Vale Xmas Techno
> Night (which I now assume is cancelled) after we became (very) minor cult
> heroes doing those disclaimers.

I'd say less of the (very) minor. I find them most amusing and entertaining.

> How did you manage to get your invite, Phil?

Through all of those posts, about attending the funeral. I offered to give
Tom Roche(of Atlanta, Georgia fame) a lift and subseqently put him up for
the day before and after the funeral. While, Tom was in transit, I emailed
the RDB show, asking if it would be possible for Tom to get a place in
Cathedral as he was travelling so far. When Tom arrived and dumped gear
off, we went up to Yalding House to sign book of condolence and through
sheer fluke, met Hermeet and Louise. We were told it may be possible to
get onto "list". When we arrived at the cathedral, we explained to
security, that we may be on "list" and told to wait by the side entrance
and sure enough, found that we were on list and were given a map to the
wake after the service.
Then week before last I got the email that you also received from Louise.
I must admit that initially, I assumed it was sent to the "Peel List" as
it started with an apology for group post and then I saw that your name,
Andrew, was the only name I recognised. I still can't believe that I'm
going.

> I'm a 6'2" skinny skinhead, with Harry Potter-esque round
> glasses (very difficult to miss, in other words).

Well I'm more of a squatter, rotund skinhead with glasses and and beard.
I've often been described as a John Peel lookalike (although extremely
flattered, feel that it does a disservice to John's memory).
In fact Marcelle from the list (who by sheer fluke again, we met at the
wake) sent this link.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/suffolk/content/image_galleries/john_peel_funeral_gallery.shtml?11

I'm at front in blue shirt and Tom is to my right. Although hidden in this
pic. Jarvis Cocker was about 10 people behind us.
If you click on image 38 (that's Marcelle).
Look forward to seeing you there.
Phil

).