F50

John Bravin john.bravin@...
Sun Jan 5 21:03:17 CET 2003

Depends a bit on what you count as reggae. In 1978 The Clash reached 7 with White Man in Hammersmith Palais, and 23 with Police and Thieves (the Junior Murvin song).

If you are into reggae and would like to see an all-time chart see www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/urban/goldfinger/goldfinger_biog.shtml
And if you are really into Lee Perry try http://ultimatecharts.com/special.asp

My personal favourite is Junior Delgado's Sons of Slaves, which Peel played in the late 70's when it was first released. It's true that a lot of the reggae Peel plays now is not leading edge, but let's not forget that when he started playing reggae his was the about the only radio station where you could hear it.

Maybe I should consider an email campaign next year, like that organised for Saloon. It would certainly make him happy if the top 5 were not white guitar bands singing indie tunes.

John

----- Original Message -----
  From: Stuart McHugh
  To: peel@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2003 5:17 PM
  Subject: [peel] Re: Re: F50

  I reckon the biggest reggae track in the chart
  ever (correct me if I'm wrong) would have been the Natural Ites
  'Picture on My Wall' which was a single and maybe the only track the
  band ever got played on radio more than once (unlike the various
  Misty ones etc and thus got focused on greatly - it was a massive
  favourite of JP too.