F50

Martin Wheatley martinwheatley@...
Sat Jan 4 17:05:07 CET 2003

<< Anyone have any theories why electronica and reggae are always so badly
 >>under-represented compared to the amount Peel plays?

Rocker wrote
 >It just seems that Peel's purely subjective opinions are more reliable than
 >"the kids" who vote in the F50!

Much as I respect Peel his tastes aren't automatically superior to every
one else's in every area of music
Peel's tastes in reggae are very old-fashioned  - Luciano is an
m-o-r singer in reggae terms.  He is fully entitled to have those tastes
of course - I have no complaints about that but people who listen to reggae
in other progs are not likely to be mostly interested in Luciano or even
Culture
Peel just doesn't play dancehall reggae where the action has been for some
years
now

I suspect the main reason electronica, reggae and other areas too are
underrepresented
in the F50 is simply because he plays a different track every time and no
one track
can build up sufficient support,  An indie single on the other hand might
be played several
times and be played elsewhere as well as the mailing list campaigns.  When
Peel does play
one of these a tracks a lot it does get support - the Marc Smith track
being an obvious example
- how many votes would that have got if he'd played it only once

martinw