[peel] Re: 1Xtra

Rob Brewer lists@...
Fri Sep 6 13:50:45 CEST 2002

At 10:51 06/09/02 +0000, palacese25 wrote:
>--- In peel@y..., Shaw Iain <the_iain_shaw@y...> wrote:
> > John Peel is going to be Tue & Wed as normal and
> > Friday 00.00 - 02.00 for September.
> > It's a disgrace. Rage.
> > Iain.
>
>Iain means, of course, all Thurs in Sept, but i feel the same, it's a
>blummen disgrace, so it is.

He means, of course, Friday - in as much as the Thursday 2200 shows are
being moved back by two hours to Friday 0000.

I understand the BBC's need to promote their new digital-only service,
though as much of the target audience ("urban" kids) presumably don't
have brand-new digital radios, Sky boxes or broadband in their rooms, I'm
not sure how much good a brief airing on analogue FM will do them. I doubt
that the Peel slot is a sensible time for them to promote it, either,
as the Peel audience are in the habit of tuning in then, and the 1Xtra
target audience (probably not the same people) aren't. My feelings are
the same as they were during John's holiday - you can't replace something
as gloriously eclectic as the Wingding with a genre-based show, without
it feeling flat.

I stayed awake to the second Cowcube track last night. I'm now going to
listen to the rest on the web. Hooray for broadband.

Rob