[peel] Digest Number 453

Andrew Morrison morriso@...
Thu Jan 17 18:54:37 CET 2002

I loved that God Machine track too!  Hadn't knowingly heard any of their stuff before.  Anyone recommend a classic album of their's I should go for first?

Personally, I think Melys are great.  Simple songs, spiteful lyrics (sometimes), and thoroughly nice people when I briefly met them last year and they reply personally to my emails, which makes a nice change.  I doubt, however, they'll become a big band, as the music is a little "90s", but fairplay to them running their business (Sylem Records) and studio all by themselves.  True "indie" music.

Regards,
Andrew Morrison
Email: morriso@btinternet.com
ICQ No. 52250781
Website: http://www.trustnoone.org.uk
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: John.Clare@...
  To: peel@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 10:44 AM
  Subject: Re: [peel] Digest Number 453

  Hi all,

  bits but to be honest I only ever really enjoy 2-3 songs per show (ie. I note
  them down and keep an eye out for them when record shopping). The only sessions
  I've really enjoyed as a whole recently have been the Smog and Low sessions.
  Part of the enjoyment of the show for me is the great man himself, and his
  haphazard DJing!

  Even so, I listen religiously because amongst all the (IMHO) crap he plays there
  are a few gems, which make it worthwhile. He played the God Machine the other
  night - superb, haven't heard them for years. It's the same reason I buy NME -
  it's 98% shit but if I buy at least one excellent LP after reading about a band
  then it makes it all worthwhile.

  I don't want to sound too negative, but feel that people worship him regardless
  of what he plays, and think "John Peel likes it so it must be good". Be honest,
  can you distinguish between the dub reggae and techno he plays? All sounds the
  same to me! ;-)

  Await flame.....

  PS. I hate Melys, can't see what the fuss is about. And he's always playing
  them. Why?! Am I missing something here? Grrrrr.