holidays

Stuart McHugh stuart@...
Sat Feb 16 14:05:50 CET 2002

>At 13:28 15/02/02 +0000, robfleay@... wrote:
>>  > summary: Rock Show on Tuedsdays, Gilles Peterson on Weds,
>>  > Fabio & Grooverider on Thurs. I don't think I'll be
>>  > tuning in.
>>
>>What the?? Is this a fairly good indication that when Peel retires or
>>croaks that R1 have no intention of replacing him with something even
>>vaguely interesting?
>
>I fear it is.
>
>It's also partly an attempt to plug their new digital-only "urban"
>station, Network X, which will get a run-out on the R1 frequencies
>in the small hours to fill (with a little shuffling around) the gaps
>left by the Rock Show and Peterson moving into the Peel slot.

well, I for one am not interested in being a guinea-pig for this. Not
that they expect any of us to tune in anyway, I'd imagine we're all
supposed to go off to Radio 2 or 3.  I think some sort of protest
might be in order - it's been done before when Peel lost some hours,
and he eventually managed to claw a bit back. Even if we're not
necessarily trying to 'save' the show - there's been no mention (yet)
of there being any change when he returns, refreshed and raring to go
again - I for one intend to protest at having to withstand a whole
month of radio intended for an audience which is already catered for.
(I've already posted something on the messageboard, which, being
moderated, will come to some attention. Not sure who the
controller/decision -maker is these days though). Points of View,
perhaps?
And I'm not simply going to follow the old "if you don't like it, you
don't have to listen" directive. I pay my licence fee and should be
able to expect Radio One is supposed to offer diverse programming
(and does, to be fair). A bit of change for holiday cover is to be
expected, but a month of these shows is, quite frankly, taking the
piss.

Stuart
PS messageboard located at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/h2/h2.cgi?state=view&board=radio1.peel