[peel] Re: holidays

Rob Brewer rbrwr@...
Fri Feb 15 16:34:43 CET 2002

At 13:28 15/02/02 +0000, robfleay@... wrote:
> > summary: Rock Show on Tuedsdays, Gilles Peterson on Weds,
> > Fabio & Grooverider on Thurs. I don't think I'll be
> > tuning in.
>
>What the?? Is this a fairly good indication that when Peel retires or
>croaks that R1 have no intention of replacing him with something even
>vaguely interesting?

I fear it is.

It's also partly an attempt to plug their new digital-only "urban"
station, Network X, which will get a run-out on the R1 frequencies
in the small hours to fill (with a little shuffling around) the gaps
left by the Rock Show and Peterson moving into the Peel slot.

Nevertheless..

It seems that Radio 1 is quite concerned with sticking its shows in
little boxes marked "dance", "urban", "alternative", and even the
"alternative" shows seem to be quite pigeonholed: indie on Lamacq
and the various "Session..." shows, rock from M. A. Hobbs, punk
and hip-hop (muc of it oldies?) on "the Lockup" (after my bed-time,
I'm afraid).

Obviously a show as eclectic as Peel's can't just be created by
a management decision - it has to develop an audience over time,
as listeners get used to the idiosyncrasies of the DJ and decide
that the mix they get from the programme is worth it. It also needs
a DJ with a sufficient breadth of musical interests. Even if they
did decide to replace Peel (as and when) with something "vaguely
interesting", where is it going to come from? Lamacq perhaps?
Mary-Ann Hobbs? Mark and Lard?!?

>Still at least the 4 weeks off gives us chance to listen to the Late
>Junction on Radio 3

This may be where we end up for good.

Rob B