[peel] Grinderswitch

John Bravin john.bravin@...
Sun Nov 4 09:33:55 CET 2001

Thanks Tom, but now the plot thickens:

I was fascinated by your research, and bizarrely was driving round here
in Belgium on Saturday morning listening to the World Service when I
caught the Peel show complete with Pickin' the Blues.   But the real
question is who wrote the song.  Elmore James certainly penned one
version, which you can hear on
http://ubl.artistdirect.com/store/artist/album/0,,1051072,00.html and
Dru Lombar, the singer/songwriter/guitarist and leader of Grinderswitch,
plays a version with his follow-on band Dr. Hector & the Groove
Injectors on a Tribute to Elmore James compilation on Icehouse Records.

It's not such an academic question, with two playings per show, and
probably over 5000 shows, who gets the royalties, the estate of Elmore
James or Lloyd Copas?

John

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Roche" <troche@...>
To: <peel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: 04 November 2001 04:09
Subject: [peel] Re: Grinderswitch

> I have the the original Grinderswitch LP right here "Macon Tracks"
released in '75 on Capricorn... recorded an hour down the interstate
from here in Macon Georgia.

> There may have been a song called Pickin' The Blues by Elmore James,
but the Grinderswich label credit for that cut says it was written by
one Lloyd Copas. A little further research shows that Copas a.k.a Coyboy
Copas recorded a few singles for King and Dot in 57-59 (see
http://rcs.law.emory.edu/rcs/index.htm) and that his version of Pickin
The Blues appears on the Nashville Records LP  Late and Great Cowboy
Copas Nashville NLP-2013 (see http://folkindex.mse.jhu.edu/CP13.htm  )